at the University of San Francisco
The Fromm Institute For Lifelong Learning
FROMM INSTITUTE STUDENT ASSOCIATION
(click here for more info)
Thurs., May 17, 2018
Mon., May 28, 2018
Class Begin 04/9/2018
Class End 05/031/2018
Make-up Week 06/04 - 07
Class Begin 09/10/2018
Class End 11/01/2018
Make-up Week 11/5 - 08
Classes meet at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday - Thursday. The Fromm Institute office is open, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
FALL CLOSED CLASSES
"James's The Ambassadors"
"Urgent Issues Extradordinary Politics"
"The Middle East"
"Some Jazz History"
"City of Light: Paris"
Prof. Carcieri "The Federalist Papers,
Prof. Hohmann "Age of the Italian Renaissance"
Roatcap "William Morris
& the Pre- Raphaelites"
BY-LAWS 0F THE FROMM INSTITUTE STUDENT ASSOCIATION
I. PURPOSES AND OBJECTIVES OF F.I.S.A.: The Fromm Institute Student Association (FISA) shall function to coordinate and regulate non-academic student activities, including, but not limited to, social functions, entertainment programs, meals and such other programs as may be deemed appropriate to serve student interests. Academic matters are governed by the administrative office of the Fromm Institute for Lifelong Learning. Out-of-school activities, such as attendance at plays and concerts and travel ventures, may be offered to the students for their consideration, with the proviso that such activities shall not conflict with academic classes unless authorized by the Fromm Institute Administrative Office.
II. MEMBERSHIP AND DUES: Every currently-enrolled student of the Fromm Institute is automatically a member of FISA. Dues shall be voluntary, and the amount shall be set by the Officers and four Steering Committee.
III. THE OFFICERS AND STEERING COMMITTEE shall be the governing body of FISA, four officers and for members-at-large.
A. TITLES AND DUTIES OF OFFICERS: The officers of FISA shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
1. It shall be the duty of the President to call meetings of the Officers and Steering Committee for general and specific purposes and to preside over such meetings unless absent for cause. The President shall represent FISA as ex-officio, non-voting member of the Fromm Institute.
2. In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President.
3. The Secretary shall record the Minutes of meetings and report them at the subsequent meeting. The Secretary shall also handle all correspondence of FISA.
4. The Treasurer shall process all funds received by FISA and make all authorized disbursements. Disbursements in excess of $500 must be approved by the Officers and Steering Committee. At least once per session the Treasurer shall offer a report n the current financial condition of FISA.
B. ELECTIONS: Officers and Steering Committee shall be elected to two-year terms by a majority of currently enrolled students voting. Elections of officers shall be held in odd-numbered years and Steering Committee in even-numbered years. No person shall hold the same office for more than two consecutive terms.
IV. AMENDMENTS: Proposed amendments to these by-laws may be submitted by any member of FISA to the Officers and Steering Committee. Provided that such proposed amendment does not conflict with the policies of the Fromm Institute for Lifelong Learning, the amendment will be submitted to the students for ratification at the next regularly scheduled election. The amendment shall be adopted if approved by two-thirds of votes cast.
I certify that the foregoing is a true and correct copy of the revised by-laws of the Fromm Institute Student Association, duly adopted by the Officers and Steering Committee on April 17, 2012.
BY-LAWS OF THE FROMM INSTITUTE STUDENT ASSOCIATION
ARTICLE 1 - PURPOSES AND OBJECTIVES
The Fromm Institute Student Association (FISA) shall function to coordinate and regulate non-academic student activities, including, but not limited to, social functions, entertainment programs, and meals and such other programs as may be deemed appropriate to serve student interests. Academic matters are governed by the administrative office of the Fromm Institute for Lifelong Learning. Out-of-school activities, such as attendance at plays and concerts and travel ventures, may be offered to the students for their consideration, with the proviso that such activities shall not conflict with academic classes unless authorized by the Fromm Institute Administrative Office.
ARTICLE 2 - MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
Every currently-enrolled student of the Fromm Institute is automatically a member of FISA. Dues shall be voluntary, and the amount shall be set by a majority vote of the FISA Student Council.
ARTICLE 3 - THE FISA STUDENT COUNCIL
1) The Student Council shall be the governing body of FISA and will have a minimum of 8 members and maximum of 15 members. Council membership will be composed of 4 officers - President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer; 4 steering committee members; and up to 7 volunteer members.
2) The Officers and Steering Committee members shall be elected to two year terms by a majority of currently enrolled students voting. Elections of Officers shall be held in odd-numbered years and Steering Committee members in even-numbered years. No person shall hold the same office for more than two consecutive terms.
3) The volunteer members shall be elected to two year terms by a majority vote of the Student Council. There will be no term limits for volunteer members.
4) All members of the Student Council will have voting authority on all matters, including the filling of a council vacancy due to resignation or any other reason.
ARTICLE 4 - MEETINGS OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL
1) Regular meetings of the Student Council shall be held at least once during each of the three annual Fromm Institute class sessions at such time and place as the President may determine.
2) Special meetings of the Student Council may be called by the President, or by at least two (2) council members. Council members shall be given at least one (1) week written notice of time, place, and purpose.
3) A majority of the Student Council then in office shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any regular or special meeting of the Council. If a quorum is present when a vote is taken, the affirmative vote of a majority of those present shall be the act of the Council except (as provided in Article 8 below) that any revision of these bylaws shall require an affirmative vote of two-thirds of those present.
4)A council member may participate in any meeting of the Student Council by means of a telephone conference call or similar communications device allowing all persons participating in such meeting to hear each other; such participation shall be deemed presence in person at such meeting.
5) The Student Council may also act by unanimous written consent of all its members then in office to enact a resolution of the Council.
6) Each Council member may appoint any one of the other members to vote on his or her behalf at meetings of the Council. Such appointment shall be by written proxy executed by the Council member and dated as of the day of execution, and may be in the form of a facsimile copy or an electronic message. Each proxy
(1) shall apply solely to such meeting as may be designated on the proxy;
(2) may be limited or restricted in scope, or may provide the holder or appointee with unrestricted or blanket authority to vote on any matter coming before the designated meeting;
(3) shall be revocable at the pleasure of the council member executing it; and
(4) shall not provide the holder with power to appoint a substitute to act in the proxy holder’s place.
7) Parliamentary Authority – at all meetings the Student Council follows the most recent edition of Robert’s Rules
of Order, except where such rules may conflict with these by-laws.
ARTICLE 5 - DUTIES OF OFFICERS
1) The President shall preside at all meetings of the Student Council unless absent for cause and shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed by these bylaws or assigned to her/him by the Council. The President shall represent FISA as an ex-officio member of The Friends of The Fromm Institute Board of Directors.
2) The Vice President shall act as an aide to the President and shall perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of that officer to act. The Vice President shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him or her by the President or by the Council.
3) The Secretary shall record the minutes of all meetings and report them to all members of the Student Council after each meeting. He or she shall have custody of and maintain such minutes along with other non-financial records of FISA and will be responsible for handling all correspondence of FISA. The Secretary shall also carry out such duties or responsibilities as may be assigned to him or her by the Council or delegated to him or her by the President.
4) The Treasurer shall have custody of all funds; shall keep an accurate account of all receipts and expenditures; and make disbursements as authorized. Such funds shall be deposited in a bank or other depository institution selected by the Student Council in the name of FISA. The Treasurer shall present a financial statement at every regular meeting and at such other times as requested by the Council or deemed useful by the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall perform such other duties incident to the office along with such other responsibilities that may be conferred upon him or her from time to time by the Student Council.